Nexans provides world’s longest superconductor to LIPA in USA
- A 600-meter-long cable, operating at 200°C connects two substations at a test site of the Long Island Power Authority.
- It is able to transmit 600 MVA – i.e. 3 times more power than existing lines using the same right-of-way.
The power grid was aging, and there was no chance of doing new civil engineering to open a new corridor; meanwhile power demands were sky-rocketing.
- Nexans designed and manufactured the cable and terminations, including the cryostat envelope based on our knowledge of liquid gas transfer line technology.
- The cable withstands inner and ambient temperatures, and absorbs length variation (about two meters for 600 meters installed).
- A second project using yttrium-based conductors will significantly reduce cable costs.
Nexans brings energy to life through an extensive range of cables and cabling solutions that deliver increased performance for our customers worldwide. Nexans’ teams are committed to a partnership approach that supports customers in four main business areas: Power transmission and distribution (submarine and land), Energy resources (Oil & Gas, Mining and Renewables), Transportation (Road, Rail, Air, Sea) and Building (Commercial, Residential and Data Centers). Nexans’ strategy is founded on continuous innovation in products, solutions and services, employee development, customer training and the introduction of safe, low -environmental- impact industrial processes. In 2013, Nexans became the first cable player to create a Foundation to introduce sustained initiatives for access to energy for disadvantaged communities worldwide. We have an industrial presence in 40 countries and commercial activities worldwide, employing close to 26,000 people and generating sales in 2013 of nearly 6.7 billion euros. Nexans is listed on NYSE Euronext Paris, compartment A. For more information, please consult: