Who is Nexans?
A North American and global leader in energy transformation and data expansion
Much has changed in Nexans’ wire and cable business history in North America over the last 120 years but the fundamentals remain the same – continual product innovation, a focus on our customers, operational excellence and outstanding people.
Originating as American Wire & Steel in 1899 and Canada Wire and Cable Company in 1911, today Nexans is a global organization with an industrial presence in 40 countries, nearly 26,000 employees and operations in all areas of the wire and cable market. These areas include:
- Building and energy – where our cables and solutions. manufactured out of Fergus, Ontario, and Chester, New York, are integral to residential, commercial and industrial buildings
- Power utility – where we develop underground and above ground power cables up to extra high voltage (EHV) in our plants in Weyburn, Saskatchewan, and Goose Creek, South Carolina
- Industrial – developing cable and assembly solutions for critical equipment operating in harsh environments from plants in El Dorado, Arkansas, and Houston, Texas
- LAN/Telecom – creating a variety of network copper and fiber optic cable products in New Holland, Pennsylvania, and Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
- Metallurgy – providing high purity, consistent supply and vertical integration of copper rod and catenary wire, from our plant in Montreal, Quebec
Beyond helping customers optimize their businesses with wire and cable products, we are committed to expanding our offering to include a host of new solutions and services that help customers improve performance and service their own customer base better. These include employing expertise and knowhow through planning and design, customization, testing, process upgrades, production refinements, advanced logistics, installation, maintenance, aftersales service and recycling.
At the forefront of technology, customer driven research and innovation
We also continue to be a leader in technological innovation, investing in our plants and people, and developing and improving products and processes, that help our customers solve their complex challenges – from solutions for complex urban power transmission challenges like the Resilient Electric Grid and connecting wind farms like Canada’s Grand Bend Wind Farm to the grid, to creating the “AmerLink” service loop with up to 20% less weight and more than twice the service life.
Among the milestone advances we’ve made for our customers:
- The highest voltage for an insulated cable (AC): 500,000 Volts
- The most cold resistant cable: Up to -65C
- The longest cable in one length: 240 km
- The deepest undersea cable: 2,400 m
- The most heat-resistant cable: Up to 1,100C
A promising and powerful future ahead
Never to rest on our laurels, in the coming years, Nexans will continue to become a critical player in energy transformation and data expansion, building on our advanced industrial capabilities, protecting and strengthening our core with continuous investment in technology and product development, developing solutions for select industrial segments like renewables and electric vehicles, and accelerating growth in the data cable solutions market.
With the help of our one inspired team of passionate employees across North America, Nexans will continue to provide expertise and leadership, driving a safer, smarter and more efficient future with our customers.